Learn how to join our server and start playing in 60 seconds!
Play Now

The (Entire) Server is Due for an Upgrade

Should we upgrade?

• Stay at 1.8

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi1307

Banned
1.8 just celebrated it's 2nd year anniversary last month, and with that, it really looks like Pika is becoming way behind the times.

Here is a brief rundown of why survival should be updated:

ADDITIONAL FEATURES
  1. Elytra and End Cities (1.9)
  2. Chorus Fruit (1.9)
  3. Llamas (1.11)
  4. Observers (1.11)
  5. Shulker Boxes (1.11)
  6. Fireworks Elytra Boost (1.11.2)
  7. Shield (1.9)
  8. Woodland Mansions (1.11)
  9. Totem of Undying (1.11)
  10. Fossils (1.10)
  11. Gold on the surface (1.10)
Just to name a few

THE NEW COMBAT SYSTEM ISN'T AS BAD AS IT SEEMS
The 1.11.2 enchantment "sweeping edge" deals splash damage to entities, and 1.9 combat mechanics don't apply to it.
Even if you don't have that enchantment, other servers are already in 1.11.2, and you'll get used to the new combat system.
You can disable 1.9 combat entirely (https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/oldcombatmechanics-disable-1-9-hit-cooldown.19510/)

BETTER PLUGIN SUPPORT
Most plugins supported by 1.8 are compatible with 1.11. Legacy clients can still join using plugins like ProtocolSupport (https://build.true-games.org/job/ProtocolSupport/). If other servers (not naming any) can support 1.11.2 (and have more features than Pika), Pika can do the same.

THE EULA DOES NOT AFFECT CRACKED SERVERS
If no one has realised yet, cracked servers bypass Mojang's auth servers, which means Mojang has no control over the server's content. There are dozens of servers out there (with hundreds or thousands of players) which are blatantly violating the EULA and nothing can be done to stop them. As long as Pika stays cracked, the ranks system does not have to change.

So, all in all, stop just resetting the server and actually update the version for once! Vote in the poll above if you want the server to update to 1.10 or above in the next reset!

CPT_ARCHER

Veteran
Well upgrading from 1.8-1.11 is gonna make tons of changes and as CBTHEBEAST said not all gamemodes are the same. For the pvpers 1.7 is the best version to PvP. And also that kind of upgrade might decrease the players in pika a lot will leave (in my theory that gonna happen)

Zach_Loves_MC

Banned
1.8 seems fine. I see no reason to upgrade. Also if we upgrade to get that stuff there will be a reset on most of the servers.

OP
OP
H

Hi1307

Banned
Please read the OP before replying

YOU CAN CHOOSE TO DISABLE 1.9 COMBAT MECHANICS USING A PLUGIN.

"The combat mechanics in 1.7 are better" is no longer an excuse.

Updating the server will NOT require a reset. Do you start a new world every time you update to a new version? No. For the same reason, you do NOT need to reset the worlds.

OP
OP
H

Hi1307

Banned
I actually did read the post. And I saw how you can "Disable the pvp with a plugin". My question is, why the hassle? Getting Elytra would open doors to new minigames and all. But overall, when you think about the win:lose ratio, It's really not worth the trouble.

It's not just the elytra, there are tons of other features that we're missing out by staying in 1.8, as listed above. Shulker boxes?

These can be gotten in 1.8 using plugins, but why install multiple plugins when you can just install 1 and update the server?

DinosMagicWorld

Epic Pika
Please read the OP before replying

YOU CAN CHOOSE TO DISABLE 1.9 COMBAT MECHANICS USING A PLUGIN.

"The combat mechanics in 1.7 are better" is no longer an excuse.

The problem here isn't the PvP in Survival or any other server, it Pika's playerbase.
Even if you educated everyone and showed them that you can still use 1.8's combat on any other version, they won't like the version because of the prejudice that was born from the new combat.
The amount of complaints and players quitting will be insanely big, and won't help the server.

The new features such as the Elytra don't interest that many players, since if they did, the amount of requests for an upgrade to 1.9+ would be much larger.
In my opinion, if they did add 1.9+, maybe they should just do it on Survival, since it is the only server that would have some use of the new updates.

OP
OP
H

Hi1307

Banned
The problem here isn't the PvP in Survival or any other server, it Pika's playerbase.
Even if you educated everyone and showed them that you can still use 1.8's combat on any other version, they won't like the version because of the prejudice that was born from the new combat.
The amount of complaints and players quitting will be insanely big, and won't help the server.

The new features such as the Elytra don't interest that many players, since if they did, the amount of requests for an upgrade to 1.9+ would be much larger.
In my opinion, if they did add 1.9+, maybe they should just do it on Survival, since it is the only server that would have some use of the new updates.

That's very true, but the point for updating Survival (and possible Creative) still stands.

These 2 will benefit the most from the new mechanics. PVP servers can stay on 1.8

Cirty

Pika Lover
This same thing was argued a year ago a couple months after 1.9 was released and it was given false hope. So don't expect anything to happen.

Crivity

Epic Pika
tbh there will probably will be a day where they may have to upgrade due to dupes and exploits.

Smexzy

Pika Member
While your reasons are pretty acceptable, I think pika shouldn't switch to the latest version of minecraft! Even though you stated they could bring back old pvp systems but it would still have a lack of smoothness and real feel of 1.8 PvP... That is just my opinion, and I totally respect yours !
Good Luck!
Yours Sincerely,
Smexzy_!

MobMobGasErop

Veteran
1.8 just celebrated it's 2nd year anniversary last month, and with that, it really looks like Pika is becoming way behind the times.

Here is a brief rundown of why survival should be updated:

ADDITIONAL FEATURES
  1. Elytra and End Cities (1.9)
  2. Chorus Fruit (1.9)
  3. Llamas (1.11)
  4. Observers (1.11)
  5. Shulker Boxes (1.11)
  6. Fireworks Elytra Boost (1.11.2)
  7. Shield (1.9)
  8. Woodland Mansions (1.11)
  9. Totem of Undying (1.11)
  10. Fossils (1.10)
  11. Gold on the surface (1.10)
Just to name a few

THE NEW COMBAT SYSTEM ISN'T AS BAD AS IT SEEMS
The 1.11.2 enchantment "sweeping edge" deals splash damage to entities, and 1.9 combat mechanics don't apply to it.
Even if you don't have that enchantment, other servers are already in 1.11.2, and you'll get used to the new combat system.
You can disable 1.9 combat entirely (https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/oldcombatmechanics-disable-1-9-hit-cooldown.19510/)

BETTER PLUGIN SUPPORT
Most plugins supported by 1.8 are compatible with 1.11. Legacy clients can still join using plugins like ProtocolSupport (https://build.true-games.org/job/ProtocolSupport/). If other servers (not naming any) can support 1.11.2 (and have more features than Pika), Pika can do the same.

THE EULA DOES NOT AFFECT CRACKED SERVERS
If no one has realised yet, cracked servers bypass Mojang's auth servers, which means Mojang has no control over the server's content. There are dozens of servers out there (with hundreds or thousands of players) which are blatantly violating the EULA and nothing can be done to stop them. As long as Pika stays cracked, the ranks system does not have to change.

So, all in all, stop just resetting the server and actually update the version for once! Vote in the poll above if you want the server to update to 1.10 or above in the next reset!

I think its a good idea for survival then u can do more stuff and explore more u have my vote for it :D

blakeoncoaster

Veteran
I don't know how it would work out for other servers on Pika but I think that it would work out on Survival. So I changed my vote. Would be interesting to see some new things added and to try out.

Isab3llaBozXD

Pika Member
I think it should be upgraded to 1.11 in survival I tired of having to switch my versions to play single player! It would be nice to see my pet lama's on multiplayer survival server!

Status
Not open for further replies.