Learn how to join our server and start playing in 60 seconds!
Play Now
  • Hey Guest, If you have any suggestions regarding the Forums/Website we would love to hear them!

Accepted Global Update the Rule - Discrimination

Status
Not open for further replies.

MouraThat

Veteran
Minecraft Username
MouraThat

Suggestion:
Update the Rule - Discrimination

Detailed description:
I believe the rule 'Discrimination' should have harsher punishments , currently if you say the n-word in chat its just a warn (on 1st offense) and for me that's just wrong.

I'd like to suggest that 'Discrimination' has the same punishment tree as more serious chat offenses like (Encouraging suicide/Negative use of diseases) which would be :

1 Week IP-Ban

3 Weeks IP-Ban

Permanent IP-Ban

Reason(s):
Well in my opinion and others may feel differently saying discriminating stuff such as 'n-word' or 'burn the (insert religion)' is considerably more offensive than someone telling me to 'kill my self' or that I have 'insert disease'.

And yet the punishments for those offenses are significantly more , therefore in order to reflect the seriousness of discrimination I just believe the punishments need to be changed to that level.

Last edited:

U-RITE

Forum Fantasiser
I'm sorry I really have a big problem with you saying this , I'd find it incredibly hurtful if someone called me the 'n-word' and this may just be a cultural thing but if you called someone that irl , you'd be in serious trouble. I can't believe your dismisisng this as 'people should grow a thick skin' . Given the current global situation with racism this is a really inconsiderate thing to say , smh.
Also, the "current" situation? Are you daft? So you're pretending that discrimination is now worse than 40 years ago? 200 years ago? 400 years ago? Please, if anything, things have been improving dramatically to the point where if you're offended by a word that holds only a historic meaning that doesnt apply to todays world, then you're the problem.
Using your logic then we also shouldn't punish for any chat offenses , so if someone swears or tells somneone to 'kys' or that they have cancer etc..
Where have I said that we shouldn't punish for these offenses? Your argumentation is flawed and you know that. But if you're going to punish people for words like these as if they've committed an illegal crime, then you're encouraging snowflake attitude towards any sort of word. Punishing people for these words is obvious, but you shouldn't pretend that it's the end of a world because someone called you a nigger or a faggot.

JustThiemo

Lead Developer
Developer
People who have an issue with being called a nigger, faggot, zipperhead, etc. have an identity issue. I'm not saying that people shouldn't feel offended, it's just that everyone is like a snowflake nowadays. What is a slur anyway? A word that held a prejudiced definition back in the day? A white person is white, or a cracker, both are true. But what, 1 words offends you more because its spelt differently? Please, every sort of person has been enslaved at one point, not just black people. Instead of severely punishing the one that says it, we should teach people to not be so sensitive, but all of you are following a rhetoric that falls under the category of "please be nice" because you'd rather play the victim. I'm bisexual and I genuinely have no issue with being called a faggot, because that's exactly what I am, it's just a different word for it. Of course, I understand, it's a kids game and you gotta do what you gotta do, you dont want to end up like 2b2t, but please, grow thick skin.
Myself would not feel offended by this either no. But you can not tell people to just grow a pair or man up. Some people have different norms and values than others and there is nothing wrong with that. Just because you accept something doesn't mean its morally acceptable. I do understand your view on this because I have always said the same thing, but we are all here to have a good time, so you need to set some boundaries, and I feel like changing this is a good one. I could have a whole discussion about this, but I don't feel like this is the place nor the time to do it.

To get back at the part of 'you should just teach people to not be sensitive', PikaNetwork, or any Minecraft server is not a place for this. As I said you need to set some standards that are acceptable to everyone, no matter where you come from or what your age is. It's really hard to determine what's normal and what not when you have such a mixed community all together.

EDIT:
Also, I'd like to point out that this is a suggestion which people have a lot of mixed feelings about. Reacting on each other is fine, but don't let this get in to one of those never ending disucssion or I will have to lock this thread due to it moving away of the point what this suggestion is about.

OP
OP
MouraThat

MouraThat

Veteran
Also, the "current" situation? Are you daft? So you're pretending that discrimination is now worse than 40 years ago? 200 years ago? 400 years ago? Please, if anything, things have been improving dramatically to the point where if you're offended by a word that holds only a historic meaning that doesnt apply to todays world, then you're the problem.

Where have I said that we shouldn't punish for these offenses? Your argumentation is flawed and you know that. But if you're going to punish people for words like these as if they've committed an illegal crime, then you're encouraging snowflake attitude towards any sort of word. Punishing people for these words is obvious, but you shouldn't pretend that it's the end of a world because someone called you a nigger or a faggot.
Could you answer my question though , because your saying people shouldn't be snowflakes
So i presume people can say whatever they want swear , encourage suicide , use diseases as insult..

Because IMO those things are lighter than saying the n-word , which btw I dont appreciate you constantly using in your replies to me :/

UpperGround

Great Reporter
lets just leave the punishments as they are, discrimination is already a rule, better than not having a rule. Punishments are already harsh, and making it harsher for something like this, is stupid, who even takes "nigga" as offensive? like... wtf who takes "f*ck" as offensive? who takes "kys" seriously? like... be real please

PLEASE THINK REALISTIC

U-RITE

Forum Fantasiser
Myself would not feel offended by this either no. But you can not tell people to just grow a pair or man up. Some people have different norms and values than others and there is nothing wrong with that. Just because you accept something doesn't mean its morally acceptable. I do understand your view on this because I have always said the same thing, but we are all here to have a good time, so you need to set some boundaries, and I feel like changing this is a good one. I could have a whole discussion about this, but I don't feel like this is the place nor the time to do it.

To get back at the part of 'you should just teach people to not be sensitive', PikaNetwork, or any Minecraft server is not a place for this. As I said you need to set some standards that are acceptable to everyone, no matter where you come from or what your age is. It's really hard to determine what's normal and what not when you have such a mixed community all together.

EDIT:
Also, I'd like to point out that this is a suggestion which people have a lot of mixed feelings about. Reacting on each other is fine, but don't let this get in to one of those never ending disucssion or I will have to lock this thread due to it moving away of the point what this suggestion is about.
I frankly understand what you're saying and I definitely agree, but I'm not saying like there shouldn't be a punishment for this. It's just that it's not necessary to make it so severe that you'll immediately be banned for saying it. As I said, it's a kids game so you have to do what you have to do, no other way around it. But it's more important to teach people that you shouldn't have an emotional reaction to a word. If I call you stupid and you're just as offended by at as if I called a gay man a faggot, you would punish for that as severely? I can make tons of these comparisons, but one slur holds more weight than another word for what reason?
Could you answer my question though , because your saying people shouldn't be snowflakes
So i presume people can say whatever they want swear , encourage suicide , use diseases as insult..

Because IMO those things are lighter than saying the n-word , which btw I dont appreciate you constantly using in your replies to me :/
Answer your question? You've never asked me anything and if you did, I'm pretty sure I already replied to it. Also, I'm not calling you a nigger, I'm just using it in a general term as I think its absolutely unnecessary to say "n-word" as it means the exact same thing but just written differently. See? Just like explained in my first post. If I dont use that word as a personal attack towards anyone then i dont think it should be punishable.
if someone gets offended becausse somone told them to kill theirselves, those people actually have problems
I'm sorry but your argumentation doesnt make sense and I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't talk about mental health that way. In fact, this is the exact problem.

OP
OP
MouraThat

MouraThat

Veteran
I frankly understand what you're saying and I definitely agree, but I'm not saying like there shouldn't be a punishment for this. It's just that it's not necessary to make it so severe that you'll immediately be banned for saying it. As I said, it's a kids game so you have to do what you have to do, no other way around it. But it's more important to teach people that you shouldn't have an emotional reaction to a word. If I call you stupid and you're just as offended by at as if I called a gay man a faggot, you would punish for that as severely? I can make tons of these comparisons, but one slur holds more weight than another word for what reason?

Answer your question? You've never asked me anything and if you did, I'm pretty sure I already replied to it. Also, I'm not calling you a nigger, I'm just using it in a general term as I think its absolutely unnecessary to say "n-word" as it means the exact same thing but just written differently. See? Just like explained in my first post. If I dont use that word as a personal attack towards anyone then i dont think it should be punishable.

I'm sorry but your argumentation doesnt make sense and I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't talk about mental health that way. In fact, this is the exact problem.
Seriously?? Your saying its ok to use racial slurs but not tell people to kill themselves??

How are there different standards both are bad , Minecraft should be representative of common society and in society those 2 things racism (n-word) and mental health are sensitive issues and there are some things that shouldn't be said.

Anyways , You have your opinion and I have mine , this has been an interesting debate but I think from now I'll stop responding because we're veering away from the actual point of the thread which is a request for rules change rather than what I think is morally wrong

U-RITE

Forum Fantasiser
Seriously?? Your saying its ok to use racial slurs but not tell people to kill themselves??

How are there different standards both are bad , Minecraft should be representative of common society and in society those 2 things racism (n-word) and mental health are sensitive issues and there are some things that shouldn't be said.

Anyways , You have your opinion and I have mine , this has been an interesting debate but I think from now I'll stop responding because we're veering away from the actual point of the thread which is a request for rules change rather than what I think is morally wrong
Again, you're putting words in my mouth I haven't said. But all right, let's agree to disagree.

UpperGround

Great Reporter
im not really talking about mental health there, Im saying no one takes "kys" seriously... like literally, i mean yes i know there are people who are more suicidal, but even they would probably say "eh fck it this is a block game why am i taking it seriously"

U-RITE

Forum Fantasiser
im not really talking about mental health there, Im saying no one takes "kys" seriously... like literally, i mean yes i know there are people who are more suicidal, but even they would probably say "eh fck it this is a block game why am i taking it seriously"
Yes but you're encouraging self-harm, completely different from a simple insult. If that "kys" is the one that pushes them over the edge and especially in the day and age where suicide for teens have increased with 71% and for preteens 154%, then yes, its definitely a bigger problem than calling someone a faggot.

Unawarely

The Pika
i literally have never seen anyone ik ingame get offended when me, or anyone calls them nword, or gay, or American or etc

ive never seen Anyone get offended by those... you're right if we did this irl we might ve been in trouble, fyi, this is not real life, and we are not all 11 year old kids who get offended by every word someone speaks
People like you who can know how to do a simple thing like make a forums account and not care about what's said to you doesn't represent pika. Pika IS a bunch of 11 year olds. I'd bet alot of money that the average age is 10-13. Not everyone is like you, have some empathy

Unawarely

The Pika

Racism atleast in America is definitely better then 400 years ago or 40 years ago or just any time ago 10 + years. But that doesn't mean that there isn't any racism. You can't pretend that everyone is just butthurt and there is no basis for being a "snowflake" when someone says a word to you. Do you think saying the n word to someone or "kill all n word's" is worse or at the same level then sh*t? If you think it's worse then you agree to the suggestion.

UpperGround

Great Reporter
People like you who can know how to do a simple thing like make a forums account and not care about what's said to you doesn't represent pika. Pika IS a bunch of 11 year olds. I'd bet alot of money that the average age is 10-13. Not everyone is like you, have some empathy
hahahahaa ur the last person to assume "i dont have empathy"

Yes there are people who are 11 and play it, same for 13s, and there are some 9s yes, but mostly the people i know who play are 15-20.. which are people who are mature enough to not take "nigga" or "fy" seriously

You're not a psychologist.
neither are u,
iim quoting my other respone

Unawarely

The Pika
hahahahaa ur the last person to assume "i dont have empathy"

Yes there are people who are 11 and play it, same for 13s, and there are some 9s yes, but mostly the people i know who play are 15-20.. which are people who are mature enough to not take "nigga" or "fy" seriously

neither are u,
iim quoting my other respone
WDym im the last person to assume you dont have empathy? It doesn't matter that the people you talk to are older, the average pika age is closer to 10 then 20. Not everyone can be as tough skinned as you.

U-RITE

Forum Fantasiser
Racism atleast in America is definitely better then 400 years ago or 40 years ago or just any time ago 10 + years. But that doesn't mean that there isn't any racism. You can't pretend that everyone is just butthurt and there is no basis for being a "snowflake" when someone says a word to you. Do you think saying the n word to someone or "kill all n word's" is worse or at the same level then sh*t? If you think it's worse then you agree to the suggestion.
I guess I wasnt clear enough. I never said I disagreed with the suggestion, however the punishment shouldn't be so severe that it's at the same level as suicide encouragement or beyond. I also never denied that racism doesnt exist. Obviously if you say "kill all black people" then it's a different story, as that's just idiotic and hate speech. Sympathy and empathy correlate to intelligence and you wont be able to change the mind of a racist unless you actually have a genuine conversation with them. Punishing them will only make it worse. Now you might think "but judging by what you said, doesnt that mean you dont feel empathy towards black people whenever they are called a nigger?" And I'd genuinely understand that, but that's not my point. My point is that we, as humans, have to become less vulnerable to words as you shouldnt have an emotional reaction to it every time. Especially now that there are millions of edgy kids spamming it everywhere as a "joke".

Unawarely

The Pika
I guess I wasnt clear enough. I never said I disagreed with the suggestion, however the punishment shouldn't be so severe that it's at the same level as suicide encouragement or beyond. I also never denied that racism doesnt exist. Obviously if you say "kill all black people" then it's a different story, as that's just idiotic and hate speech. Sympathy and empathy correlate to intelligence and you wont be able to change the mind of a racist unless you actually have a genuine conversation with them. Punishing them will only make it worse. Now you might think "but judging by what you said, doesnt that mean you dont feel empathy towards black people whenever they are called a nigger?" And I'd genuinely understand that, but that's not my point. My point is that we, as humans, have to become less vulnerable to words as you shouldnt have an emotional reaction to it every time. Especially now that there are millions of edgy kids spamming it everywhere as a "joke".
Agreed, we do have to become less vulnerable. However, we can't just have the excuse, "Wow, all the pika network players are kids who need to become a generation of people who are less vulnerable, therefore, discrimination is allowed." So to summarize, yes, I agree that I'd be great if everyone was less vulnerable, but there are people who still are vulnerable and as much as the racist people can't be taught to not be racist through a minecraft server, the vulnerable victims of racist people can't be taught to just, "not be vulnerable."

UpperGround

Great Reporter
WDym im the last person to assume you dont have empathy? It doesn't matter that the people you talk to are older, the average pika age is closer to 10 then 20. Not everyone can be as tough skinned as you.
thats... idk how to explain, but ur using the data wrong, yes the average age is closer to 10, Which in MY opinion, doesnt matter, as i said in the other reply, they are MATURE enough not to take those seriously. Its mostly about maturity tho, are the immature people here? yes ofc, but most are mature people

UpperGround

Great Reporter
all im saying is punishing people harsher for offences which dont offend people (usually) is stupidt

Status
Not open for further replies.