Learn how to join our server and start playing in 60 seconds!
Play Now

Nether Portal Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaf26

Legendary Pika
Portals can seem buggy and hard to understand at times. Sometimes your nether portal doesn't lead back to your base. Sometimes it leads unwanted visitors to your base. Here are a few tricks I've learned over time on how to use nether portals:

Grief Prevention - Specifically, the game searches for the nearest existing portal in a 128 block radius on the other side and snaps to it. To keep people from going back to your base through the nether portal, move/destroy the nether-side portal and break the portal frame when you're not using it.

Fixing a portal - If you need a permanent portal in the nether but it snaps to someone else's claim in the nether, go back to the equivalent nether coordinates for your base's portal (x/8, y, z/8), and build a nether portal there. The two portals should connect now.

Nether Hub - If you want access to several locations from one central place, you can dig tunnels at the bottom of the Nether or paths at the top of the nether in order to travel 1/8 distance between the locations. Very useful to get around quickly without additional sethomes. Also very useful for communities.

1-way fast travel using portals - 128 blocks in the nether is 1024 blocks in the overworld. If you break the spawned portal and build a new one 16-128 blocks away, your base's portal will now snap to that new nether portal. You can use this to get to specific locations up to 128 blocks away in the nether <or> 1024 blocks away in the overworld. This is useful in combination with the /home command to have access to multiple locations. NOT useful in densely populated areas.

Obsidian Farming -
Portal spawning makes obsidian renewable. Each portal has a spawn cooldown. There is an exploit using the home plugin, but using that method is not recommended. More reliable methods involve generating portals with vanilla mechanics, such as using droppers to throw items through portals.

Add any additional tricks that you can think of

Last edited:

Blastar

I just built a nether portal on Classic Skyblock and it lead me to the nether. Here is where it gets weird.I tried to break some blocks and in the chat wrote "Island Protected". I tried to go back in the portal and it wrote the same thing. Some other guy came where I was from the same portal and I don't like that. Any help?

shannonxoxoxo

Veteran
A
I just built a nether portal on Classic Skyblock and it lead me to the nether. Here is where it gets weird.I tried to break some blocks and in the chat wrote "Island Protected". I tried to go back in the portal and it wrote the same thing. Some other guy came where I was from the same portal and I don't like that. Any help?
All portals in skyblock are connected to the nether spawn region. Best advice explore till you find a spot you like and set home there.

W

Wither

Pretty interesting and useful stuff. I like this thread! Make more of these if you can :D

Status
Not open for further replies.