Learn how to join our server and start playing in 60 seconds!
Play Now

Everything you need to know about enchantments (1.8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wither

Veteran
It is common knowledge that we all need a little bit of improvement while playing survival. So, here come the enchantments! But it proves to be difficult sometimes for beginners the process of enchanting and combining. Do not worry though, I will help you get acquainted with this stuff pretty fast and easily plus I 'll give you some further information about it!

Tool Enchantments:

Efficiency: This enchantment is one of the most common in survival simply because it is quite easy to acquire. It goes up to level V (5) and it can be applied on axes, shovels, pickaxes and shears. Use: It speeds up the process of breaking blocks depending on the level.

Fortune: This enchantment is more valuable and rare than the previous one and it goes up to level III (3). It can be applied on axes, shovels and pickaxes. Use: It increases dramatically the drops after mining an ore.

9apkq8.png
wtst1.png
k3n13d.png

But with a fortune pickaxe

k4ur5y.jpg
wtst1.png
rlx3ix.jpg

Silk Touch: This enchantment is in my opinion the rarest of these 3 despite the fact that it goes up to level I (1). It can be applied on axes, shovels and pickaxes. Use:It gives to the player the opporunity to get the ores untouched and natural (it works for any ore).

9apkq8.png
wtst1.png
k3n13d.png

But with a silk touch pickaxe

k4ur5y.jpg
wtst1.png
1zmin1s.jpg

Lure: This enchantment can be applied only on fishing rods and it goes up to level III (3). Use: It speeds up the fishing process by 5 seconds per level.

Luck of the sea: This enchantment is used exclusively on fishing rods and it goes up to level III (3). Use: It improves the loot you get from fishing.

Weapon Enchantments:

Sharpness: The mostly used weapon enchantment of all time is definitely the sharpness enchantment! It goes up to level V (5) and it can be applied on swords and axes.Use: It increase the damage a player can deal to anything alive by 0.5 hearts on first level and 0.25 hearts extra for the higher levels. For example sharpness I equals o.5 hearts of damage per hit, sharpness II equals 0.75, sharpness III equals 1, sharpness IV equals 1.25 and sharpness V equals 1.5.

Smite: This enchantment is not as useful as the previous one and goes up to level V (5). It can be applied on swords and axes. Use: It is used especially for undead features like Zombies, Skeletons, Withers, Wither Skeletons and Zombie Pigmen. It deals an extra 1.25 hearts damage per hit only to them depending on the level.

Bane of Arthropods: This enchantment is exclusive for a specific category of mobs too. It goes up to level V (5) and can be applied on swords and axes. Use: It is used for Spiders, Cave Spiders, Silverfish and Endermites as it deals 1.25 hearts damage per hit depending on the level. It also causes slowness IV on mobs 1-1.5 seconds on level I and an extra 0.5 seconds for every higher level.

Looting: This enchantment is quite similar to fortune enchantment but it can be applied only on sowrds! It goes up to level III (3). Use: It increases the possibility of getting more common, uncommon, rare and equipment drops.

Fire Aspect: The inferno enchantment which appears to be very useful while combat. It can be applied only on swords and it goes up to level II (2). Use: It fires and and as a concequence it damages the target which gets hit by 1.5 hearts on level I and by 3.5 hearts on level II.

Knockback: This enchantment does not always prove to be useful but in some specific cases it is overpowered. It can be applied only on swords and it goes up to level II (2). Use: It knocks the target 3 blocks back per level and can be combined with the natural knockback caused by sprinting and hitting.

Bow Enchantments:

Power: One of the most common and useful enchantments at the same time is definitely the power enchantment. It can be applied on bows and it goes up to level V (5). Use:It increases the damage that a player can deal to the target. For example:

Damage by Level and Bow Charge
Level/
Increase/ No charge/ Medium charge/ Full charge/ Full charge/ (critical)
—/ +0% (2.0) / 0.5 heart/ 3 hearts/ 4.5 hearts/ 5 hearts/
I / +50% (3.0)/ 1 heart/ 4.5 hearts/ 7 hearts/ 7.5 hearts/
II / +75% (3.5) / 1 heart/ 5.5 hearts/ 8 hearts/ 9 hearts/
III / +100% (4.0)/ 1 heart/ 6 hearts/ 9 hearts/ 10 hearts/
IV/ +125% (4.5) / 1.5 hearts/ 7 hearts/ 10 hearts/ 11.5 hearts/
V / +150% (5.0) / 1.5 hearts/ 7.5 hearts/ 11.5 hearts/ 12.5 hearts/

(file taken by official minecraft wiki)

Punch:One of the most overpowered enchantments especially for skywars/eggwars is for sure the punch enchantment. It can applied only on bows too and it goes up to level II (2). Use: It sends the target back much more blocks than a usual bow shot.

Flame: Like the swords, bows have their own inferno enchantment too. It can be applied obviously only on bows and it goes up to level I (1).Use: It sets the targets on fire for more than 5 seconds and it deals 2 hearts damage.

Infinity: Who needs stacks of arrows when there is the infinity enchantment? Of course, it is exclusive for bows and it goes up to level I (1).Use: You shoot as many times as you want without loosing any single arrow.

Armor Enchantments:

Protection: One of the most essential enchantments that can be applied only on armor is protection enchantment plus it goes up to level IV (4). Use: It reduces damage caused by enemies.

Fire Protection: Damage by fire is no longer that deadly if you have fire protection. It's an enchantment that can be applied only on armor and it goes up to level IV (4). Use: It reduces fire damage and burning time too.

Blast Protection: This enchantment is not as helpful as the previous ones but it proves to be useful in some situations. It can be applied only on armor and it goes up to level IV (4). Use: It reduces explosion damage and 15 % of the knockback caused by explosions per level.

Projectile Protection: Hit by projectiles? Not a big deal! Projectile protection is here to help being exclusive only for armor. It goes up to level IV (4). Use: Reduces damage caused by projectiles such as arrows, ghast and blaze charges.

Feather Falling: This enchantment makes sky diving easier and far less hazarduous. It can be applied only on boots and it goes up to level IV (4). Use: Reduces fall and ender pearl damage.

Thorns: Counterattack automatically with thorns enchantment! It can be applied only on armor and it goes up to level III (3). Use: You can damage the attackers by having a 15% chance of damaging them per level. WARNING: It causes 3 points of durability to be lost from your armor after an enemy hits you. If you have thorns on your whole armor after a being hit 3 points of durability are lost randomly from a piece of armor.

Aqua Affinity: The aqua enchantment! It can be applied only on helmets and it goes up to level I (1). Use: It allows players to break blocks underwater at a normal speed without existing the annoying slowdown.

Respiration: Another really overpowered aqua enchantment is the respiration one. It can be applied only on helmets too and it goes up to level III (3). Use: It gives the player extra oxygen in order to breath longer underwater by 15 seconds per level. Also, it improves underwater vision and increases the chance of not taking damage if the oxygen runs out by (level) / (level +1).

Depth Strider: If you wish to go on an adventure you need depth strider for sure! It can be applied only on boots and it goes up to level III (3). Use: It prevents slowdown from water while swimming on it by 1/3 per level. If you swim on water with depth strider level III is as fast as walking on land. Also, it has no effect on vertical swimming.

All-inclusive enchantment:

Unbreaking: This enchantment can be applied on any tool, weapon and armor like helmet, chestplate, leggings, boots, sword. axe, pickaxe, shovel, hoe, bow, fishing rod, flint & steel, carrot on a stick and shears.
Use: It multiplies the chance of an item's durability to remain the same so as the item to last longer. Level I doubles the chance, Level II triples it, Level III quadruples it.

Combining method: Sometimes using the anvil in order to combine enchantments can be a disaster and that's why you need to own some expereince so that to avoid any possible mistakes.

Firstly, protection, fire protection, blast protection and projectile protection aren't compatible so the first enchanted item/book you put on the anvil will be the one that will transfer the enchantment. For example:
protection + fire protection = protection BUT fire protection + protection = fire protection

Secondly, sharpness, smite and bane of arthropods aren't compatible either. Thus, you have to follow the same method like the protection enchantments in order to pick the correct one.

Thirdly, feel free to include on your boots a protection enchantment (the blast protection for example) even if they have feather falling because it won't affect it.

~A Small Tip for beginners~ You can fix items in anvils by using a diamond for diamond items, iron for iron ones, gold for golden ones, iron for chain ones leather for leather ones and wood for wooden tools.

Special Enchantment Information:

1) You can obtain higher enchantment levels by using a command. For example you can create a pickaxe that has unbreaking X (10) , fortune X (10), silk touch X (10), efficiency X (10). /give @p minecraft:diamond_pickaxe 1 0 {ench:[{id:34,lvl:10},{id:35,lvl:10},{id:33,lvl:10},{id:32,lvl:10}]}

Enchantments ID

Armor:

0 Protection
1 Fire Protection
2 Feather Falling
3 Blast Protection
4 Projectile Protection
5 Respiration
6 Aqua Affinity
7 Thorns
8 Depth Strider
34 Unbreaking

Weapons

16 Sharpness
17 Smite
18 Bane Of Arthropods
19 Knockback
20 Fire Aspect
21 Looting
34 Unbreaking

Tools

32 Efficiency
33 Silk Touch
34 Unbreaking
35 Fortune

Bows

48 Power
49 Punch
50 Flame
51 Infinity
34 Unbreaking

Fishing rods

61 Luck of the sea
62 Lure
34 Unbreaking

2) If you get a fishing rod with lure VI+ (6+) you cannot catch anything.

3) If you use looting 1000 on your sword and kill a mob with it, it will crash the game.

4) Depth strider X+ (10+) provides the same swimming speed as depth strider III (3).

5) Using respiration X+ (10+) on any part of armor with the help of commands, you will see fog underwater.

6) Protection level 1000 on your boots will reduce far more fall damage than feather falling 1000.

Requested OP armor:

If you want to create an overpowered set of armor tha includes all of the enchantments you can use my own way of enchanting:

Helmet: Fire Protection IV, Respiration III, Aqua Affinity I, Unbreaking III
Chestplate: Protection IV, Thorns III, Unbreaking III
Leggings: Projectile Protection IV, Unbreaking III
Boots: Feather Falling IV, Blast Protection IV, Depth Strider III, Unbreaking III
==============================================================================

Do not forget to leave a like if you found my thread useful plus a comment if you want to state your opinion about the post.

Verseh

Banned
Feel like this was copied straight from the minecraft forums.

Also, as this is not custom or whatever people can just search it in internet, which is easier than searching it in forums with other stuff in it as well.

OP
OP
Wither

Wither

Veteran
Feel like this was copied straight from the minecraft forums.

Also, as this is not custom or whatever people can just search it in internet, which is easier than searching it in forums with other stuff in it as well.
Look! The main purpose of this article is to inform briefly beginners (mostly) about enchantments. Of course some of these information were taken from the internet but as I said before I want to inform! So I filtered the useful information about enchantments and then I simplified them in order to make them easier to be understood!

Verseh

Banned
Look! The main purpose of this article is to inform briefly beginners (mostly) about enchantments. Of course some of these information were taken from the internet but as I said before I want to inform! So I filtered the useful information about enchantments and then I simplified them in order to make them easier to be understood!
Wow wow, I was just saying some things. No need to get mad. It's really nice what you're doing but to find something like this in a big game Forum is hard, while searching it on google is easier.

YoungerO_o

If I saw this thread when i started playing mincraft on Pika's survival it would make my life complitely easier.

Great job my friend!!!

OP
OP
Wither

Wither

Veteran
Wow wow, I was just saying some things. No need to get mad. It's really nice what you're doing but to find something like this in a big game Forum is hard, while searching it on google is easier.
Dont worry buddy im not mad at all! sry if I seemed to be but I didnt mean it. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.