Learn how to join our server and start playing in 60 seconds!
Play Now
  • Hey Guest, If you have any suggestions regarding the Forums/Website we would love to hear them!

Denied Practice Can we change the ranked queueing system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unawarely

The Pika
Minecraft Username:
Unawarely

Suggestion:
Can we make it easier to get elo?

Detailed description:
Queuing ranked in pika isn't great. Here are a couple much-needed changes.

Make it so when you queue, you search faster, or, when you are searching for x-x, rather then you searching up until 900 and then someone who is 900 joins, they have to search up to your elo, you instant queue them. The searching system is broken and makes it practically impossible to queue elo.

Reason(s):
It will make practice playable

Example(s):
More competition

Last edited:

Arrly

Staff Member
Admin
Your "system" for faster ELO gain would make it so a lot more people will fight newbies and farm ELO on them, which ruins the point of Practice. It's better to wait for a worthy opponent rather than destroying random players.

EA0_2_0_8_

Veteran
Great Reporter
Your "system" for faster ELO gain would make it so a lot more people will fight newbies and farm ELO on them, which ruins the point of Practice. It's better to wait for a worthy opponent rather than destroying random players.
agree but
Neutral

Silver Wing

The Pika
Neutral
I want faster elo
but also some player will not like it

OP
OP
Unawarely

Unawarely

The Pika
No, practice is practice, it's just smart to kill noobies. I don't enjoy waiting 30 minutes, if the noobies cant kill me its their problem

Arrly

Staff Member
Admin
No, practice is practice, it's just smart to kill noobies. I don't enjoy waiting 30 minutes, if the noobies cant kill me its their problem
ELO is not supposed to indicate how much you grind newbies, we have the kills leaderboard for that. ELO is used to determine players' skill and how that skill compares to other players. ELO wouldn't be doing its job if it could be so easily ground by killing new players. That's why ranked exists - for the best players to compete.

OP
OP
Unawarely

Unawarely

The Pika
ELO is not supposed to indicate how much you grind newbies, we have the kills leaderboard for that. ELO is used to determine players' skill and how that skill compares to other players. ELO wouldn't be doing its job if it could be so easily ground by killing new players. That's why ranked exists - for the best players to compete.
Elo is about skill and playing. There's no skill in waiting 15 minutes to queue someone because your elo is too high. Also, the elo searcher is bugged, it needs to be fixed not reworked

Arrly

Staff Member
Admin
There's no skill in waiting 15 minutes to queue someone because your elo is too high.
You're not waiting for 15 minutes because your ELO is too high, you're waiting for 15 minutes because almost nobody plays ranked. ELO system makes it so you can join a fight in any ELO range if you wait for long enough, and that's only for a few minutes.
Also, the elo searcher is bugged, it needs to be fixed not reworked
Well we both know that suggestions aren't supposed to be used for "fixing" things, I'm commenting on your suggestion, not on a bug.

UpperGround

Great Reporter
hmm uve got a point

OP
OP
Unawarely

Unawarely

The Pika
You're not waiting for 15 minutes because your ELO is too high, you're waiting for 15 minutes because almost nobody plays ranked. ELO system makes it so you can join a fight in any ELO range if you wait for long enough, and that's only for a few minutes.

Well we both know that suggestions aren't supposed to be used for "fixing" things, I'm commenting on your suggestion, not on a bug.
Actually, I just didn't feel like making a bug report. People do queue elo. There is 150 people playing practice, I say queue ranked (Ladder) someone queues, my elo is too high, so I wait 10 seconds for it to search into their elo, but then, someone who is the same elo as the original person who queued, queues up and I don't queue anyone at all. This isn't a big deal if your elo is anywhere from 1000-1100, but when yours gets to 1150+, it becomes really really hard to queue. Also, like you said, noone queues ranked. It is disproportionate for a 150 player game to have 4 people queueing ranked. Since there is so little players, doesn't it make sense for queue times to be faster. I'll be killing the noobs, but just not spending 10 minutes to queue. I'll still have to be good to consistently have high elo.

Arrly

Staff Member
Admin
It is disproportionate for a 150 player game to have 4 people queueing ranked. Since there is so little players, doesn't it make sense for queue times to be faster. I'll be killing the noobs, but just not spending 10 minutes to queue. I'll still have to be good to consistently have high elo.
It's the players' thing that they don't like ranked. There's not much the server can do about it.
By killing the newbies you would be doing basically the same thing you can do in unranked, and that defeats the point of ranked. That's why I rarely play ranked - I don't feel like waiting for a queue, and even when I do I usually end up with an average player. Making it so you get more ELO by queuing new players wouldn't resolve any issues, it would just increase everyone's ELO and make ranked more grind-based rather than skill-based.
Honestly, I think a better solution for ranked would be to have some kind of rewards for ranked players, like a temporary rank at a certain amount of ELO. But again, that would make players cheat to get to the rank (use alts for example), and they would be killing new players just like they do now. This issue can't be resolved so easily when, like you said, on a server that has 150 players barely 4 play ranked.
Don't get me wrong, I recognize the ranked issue and I agree with you that it should be fixed, but I don't think that making ranked the same as unranked (just with points) would fix anything. It would just make ELO grind-based rather than skill-based.
I guess Pika is just a server for casual players, that's why they prefer unranked over ranked. I don't think there's anything we as competitive players can do about it.

OP
OP
Unawarely

Unawarely

The Pika
It's the players' thing that they don't like ranked. There's not much the server can do about it.
By killing the newbies you would be doing basically the same thing you can do in unranked, and that defeats the point of ranked. That's why I rarely play ranked - I don't feel like waiting for a queue, and even when I do I usually end up with an average player. Making it so you get more ELO by queuing new players wouldn't resolve any issues, it would just increase everyone's ELO and make ranked more grind-based rather than skill-based.
Honestly, I think a better solution for ranked would be to have some kind of rewards for ranked players, like a temporary rank at a certain amount of ELO. But again, that would make players cheat to get to the rank (use alts for example), and they would be killing new players just like they do now. This issue can't be resolved so easily when, like you said, on a server that has 150 players barely 4 play ranked.
Don't get me wrong, I recognize the ranked issue and I agree with you that it should be fixed, but I don't think that making ranked the same as unranked (just with points) would fix anything. It would just make ELO grind-based rather than skill-based.
I guess Pika is just a server for casual players, that's why they prefer unranked over ranked. I don't think there's anything we as competitive players can do about it.
It's not as bad as you think

OP
OP
Unawarely

Unawarely

The Pika
It's not as bad as you think
People do queue, just everyone queues at the same time, at peak hours when there are 10 people queueing. If it's not peak hours, there is 1 person queueing, me

Status
Not open for further replies.